True Grit: The Best Measure of Success and How to Teach It from Edutopia

In his book “How Children Succeed” , Paul Tough questions whether success is the result of  measurable cognitive skills.  He suggests that research shows that  non-cognitive skills such as grit, self control, persistence, curiosity, and self-confidence are more important in achieving success.     Tough contends that  character development results from facing and overcoming  failure.  Upper income children are often overly protected from failure  but  also pushed to over achieve.  Lower income students face so many challenges that they give up.   Neither, in many cases, develop the resilience they need to face and overcome obstacles in life.

EDUTOPIA   offers some tips on how to teach the “performance values”  our students  need to succeed.    True Grit: The Best Measure of Success and How to Teach It   My guess is that overly testing cognitive skills is not the answer to providing students with the character traits they need to succeed.  The administrators  gave  “How Children Succeed”  to all of the staff members in my district.   At the very least the  research in this bookshould be considered as we redefine how we teach in the 21st Century.

My Scoop It